There are four widely known electrical issues that all homeowners should be fully aware of...
Overloaded outlets or outlet multipliers: Too many appliances plugged into a single outlet could indicate your house may not have the required number of outlets. The National Electrical Code requires that outlets be spaced every 12 feet of running wall space, or one on each wall of the average 10-foot-by-12-foot room. Kitchens typically require outlets spaced every four feet along the counter top.
Flickering or dimming lights: This could indicate loose connections, overloaded circuits, improper wiring, or arcing and sparking inside the walls.
Hot, discolored receptacles, switch plates, cords or plugs: If you can't keep your hand on these for more than five seconds, you may have an overload or product malfunction.
TV screen or computer monitor shrinks or wavers when a large appliance is turned on: This could mean that you have too many appliances plugged into one circuit or that your house needs additional electrical capacity.
Unusual smells: Burning metal or plastic smells may indicate a loose connection, malfunctioning switch, light fixture, broken connection, and overheating components, arcing or sparking inside the walls, damaged wire, or other potential hazards. Have a licensed Electrician inspect this situation immediately.
If you hear buzzing or cracking, or smell burning plastic around or inside the electrical panel, have a licensed Electrician check the panel immediately.
Press F5 (on your keyboard) for additional testimonials