Carbon Monoxide

carbon monoxide in home

 

Carbon monoxide can be a byproduct of the incomplete combustion of natural gas, wood, or any carbon-based fuel. It is a clear, odorless, and tasteless gas, and can cause death within minutes, if gone undetected. Extended exposure to low levels (sometimes not detected by inexpensive carbon monoxide detectors) can cause long-term health problems. Carbon monoxide detectors with a minimum sensitivity of 30 ppm and with no time delay should be installed at locations where natural gas appliances or fireplaces are used. Massachusetts Home Inspections also recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms on each habitable floor of multi-story structures and within 10 feet of entrances to all bedrooms.

If you are purchasing or selling a home, Massachusetts law requires that all residential structures be equipped with approved Carbon Monoxide detectors and smoke detectors upon sale or transfer. The local fire department will issue a certificate to prove compliance. The Seller is always responsible for obtaining this certificate before close of escrow.

carbon monoxide alarm

Massachusetts Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations

Share:  Add to Facebook Tweet This Add to Delicious Submit to Digg Stumble This

Here is what my clients have to say about my home inspection services:

Press F5 (on your keyboard) for additional testimonials

 

As a first time home buyer, a home inspection was very intimidating. Dave Valley made me feel at ease as soon as I met him. He was very professional, thorough, and explained things to me as we went along. Overall, what I expected to be a stressful experience was very easy because of Dave.

Christine

                                               

   massachusetts state seal     Certified Professional Home Inspector     certified master inspector seal     indoor air certification

massachusetts seal     $10,000 Honor Guarantee, Backed by InterNACHI    

Last updated on  Feb 27, 2013